Friday, January 30, 2009

We're back online...

Glad to be back online. It seems like forever since our last post, but I was computerless for a week and it has taken me another week to get back on track. I never realized I was addicted to email & blogs until I didn't have a computer. I missed you all!
Jethro is still with us and what a doll! He snuggles & cuddles all the time, he is a 65 (not 55 as originally posted) pound lapdog. Jethro is happiest laying on the couch with the front half of his body in your lap. He absolutely loves being an indoor dog and is doing great. So great in fact I think that he must have been an indoor dog at one time in his life. He hasn't had an accident yet and he has been here 2 weeks today. We are in no rush to get rid of him, but we are hoping he will find a forever home soon where he will be pampered and spoiled for the rest of his life. He is so handsome and wonderful!
I need some feedback on whether or not you let your pets on the couch. I always encourage the dogs up, but wondering if I am doing a disservice to the dog as his potential owner may have a different set of rules. What do you think?

Last week KKs soccer team played in a futsal tournament (soccer on a gym floor). They played up 2 age levels and won the tournament. They are such a good team and so much fun to watch. Middle school basketball...... not so well, so we'll skip that.

C's new indoor soccer team finally won their first two games and we are grateful for that, but the games are killing me. Because she is highschool age they squeeze their games in at the end of the night. They are scheduled to start at 8:30 & 9:30 p.m. and then it is a half hour drive home! Don't they know I am in bed by 10??? jeezsh!

7 comments:

Forever Foster said...

It's a tough one with knowing which behaviours to allow. It is easier for us because it would be a very unusual person indeed who wouldn't allow a kitty on the couch. We basically try to teach behaviours that aren't too invasive- we don't allow face licking, for example, and spent a lot of time teaching our adult foster that she wasn't allowed on the benches.

I'm not very good with dogs, but would I be right to think Jethro was at least a year old? In the case of adults, I tend to think you work with what's infront of you, rather than going for a massive overhaul. If Jethro is already behaving like an indoor dog, and it's likely he always has been barring the time at the dump, I would think your time is better spent with any basic training he might need, and helping him to be as socialised as possible. Especially if your dogs are allowed on the couch, I would imagine it would be very difficult indeed to keep him off.

As long as you're honest with prospective families, I don't see being allowed on the couch being too much of a problem. Our shelter recently helped re-home a Great Dane who was previously allowed to sit on a chair at the kitchen table for meals and eat off the table, and sleep in the bed with his human, so with a dog of Jethro's size, I think most people out for a rescue dog would be ok with them being on the couch.

Another thought is that I feel by letting an animal live in what is a familliar environment to them, you allow more of their true personality to emerge, and can give a new family an even better idea of what they are like.

I hope this ramble was of some assistance! LOL!

Cats~Goats~Quotes said...

We would have to let them on the furniture, that's just the way we like it. We fail miserably at fostering. Miserably!
He is a handsome boy, and hope he finds a wonderful forever home (if that is what you really, really want :) )

Happy Hunting!
~ Maggie Mae and Anna Sue

Lightning and Co. said...

Penny lives outside. However, she used to stay inside, and though we told her to get off the couch. Cats are a different story. They're not so big, smelly, or hairy. A foster dog allowed on the couch might think that it's okay in a home where it's really not. But if the cats can get on the couch, the dogs will wonder shy they can't too.

BeadedTail said...

Glad you are back! Jethro is so cute and I just love that picture of all the dogs on the furniture! We have one old oversized chair that Sadie can lay on so she knows not to get on any other furniture. Well, she also has a daybed in my office she can get on. And a futon in her own room (yes, she has her own room). So, I guess she pretty much gets on all the furniture except the couches!

Book Worm said...

check out my blog and leave a comment.

Pies Placek said...

This is a fantastic blog. I like it very much.
Greetings from Poland

Lux said...

Love that picture of all the dogs together. Doesn't all furniture in the home belong to us animals? (I'm confused.) ;-)